Having the freedom to travel wherever you want and earn money while doing the things you enjoy sounds like a dream. But it’s definitely one that can come true and has become a lot easier to achieve as a digital nomad.
I know because I did it myself and this is me encouraging anyone that it is possible to create an aligned business, one that is the perfect fit for your passions and values, as a digital nomad.
How I made the switch to an aligned business I’m passionate about
I started freelancing a few years ago and accepted any job that sounded fun. It was anything that would give me an opportunity to explore what I wanted to be doing. I did a bunch of different jobs that allowed me to travel the world – from social media management to writing for guide books to working as a consultant for tech startups.
But I felt like something was still missing and I decided to really follow what I wanted to do. My passion for wellness led me to create my own holistic health coaching program and become an online yoga teacher. I then decided to start a blog where I can share my journey to connect with other like-minded people.
If you’ve been wondering whether you should become a digital nomad and create an aligned business, then read on. I will be sharing some tips on how you can run a business remotely and enjoy doing it while hopping to places and experiencing different cultures.
Benefits of being a digital nomad with an aligned business
The life of a digital nomad – moving from one country to the next and meeting people from different cultures – may not be enticing for everyone. Believe me, you can even get a culture shock. Some people simply like the comforts of their home and don’t want to have to deal with constant changes. But if you’ve always been itching to travel and the thought of being your own boss excites you, then digital nomadism might just be for you.
The exciting nomadic lifestyle has tons of benefits but here are three of my favorites:
Freedom. The freedom to work anywhere you want, at any time is probably the most enticing benefit of the digital nomad lifestyle. You’re in control when it comes to your schedules and your work preference.
You are independent of the work location; whether it’s in a cafe, a library, or a small hut by the beach, it doesn’t really matter as long as you feel it’s where you’re most productive.
Less stress. You don’t have to hurry to your next meeting. You don’t even have to deal with a toxic environment due to office politics. You can work at your own pace and at peace without distractions from a super-chatty colleague. Since you’re in control, you are creating a work environment that works for you. And of course, because you have flexibility, you have more time to really do what you want to be doing.
Powered by motivation. This is the best thing about having a business that aligns with your passions and values. When you have a job or run a business from different parts of the world, you tend to become more motivated since you are doing things your way. You get to choose your workspace and your schedule and pick which tasks to focus on. That’s not to say you won’t get distracted, because, at some point, you will.
There will be moments when you just want to procrastinate (I know I have). But since you own this life and you own your work, you have this sense of fulfillment just by completing tasks and making something out of what you love doing. And that gives you the motivation to go on.
Before you start your own business as a digital nomad, you have to ask yourself questions to make sure you’re taking steps in the right direction and make sure your business is an aligned one. My advice is to try as many things as you want and reflect on them. Think about how it makes you feel. You can ask the following questions:
- What gave me energy?
- What drained me?
- What did I learn about myself?
Finding the questions to these answers lets you identify what aspect of your life needs a shift. Moreover, it helps you learn something more about yourself so you can point out behaviors and mindsets that are being unhelpful in your quest to change your life. You will probably not find the absolute thing you’re meant to be doing right away but with trial and error, you’ll be closer to leading an aligned business.
Tips on starting your business
Ready to take on the world, enjoy what you’re doing while making money out of it? Here are some tips to give you the right motivation to pursue the digital nomad lifestyle:
- Challenge the status quo. You can fail at anything, even at a stable job you hate. That said, it’s so much better if you take the risk knowing that you are doing something you are passionate about.
- Ensure wifi connectivity. Internet connection is vital to the digital nomad lifestyle. After all, you’ll be relying so much on technology. When you travel, make sure you’re based somewhere where there is a great Wi-Fi connection. This is maybe very down to earth but things are easier when you have the basics taken care of!
- Drop the scarcity mentality and adopt an abundance mindset instead: There are countless ways to make money as a digital nomad, and yes you can be paid to do something you love! On my side, loved offering services – using my skills and specialties to help people who need it and learning about what I loved doing in the process. The possibilities are endless. So, identify your skill sets, invest in yourself, and don’t stop growing – that’s how you bring value to your work.
- Don’t feel guilty about charging a premium to your clients or customers. If you’re confident about what you’re offering and it has great value that can help people, set a rate that you deserve. This will prevent you from having to be cheap your only argument and attract clients you actually love working with. I’ve learned this the hard way as when I dramatically increased my rates a few years ago, I attracted my ideal clients as they were looking at different factors behind price.
- It won’t be easy. People who see digital nomads lounging in Bali might think that everything is easy. Not quite; there are challenges and risks to this lifestyle. It can be hard, knowing that you will be dealing with constant changes, and not to mention – disruption in your routines. You have to think long and hard and might need to go on a soul-searching journey for answers.
- Maintain your productivity. Staying productive can be a real challenge when you’re a digital nomad, regardless if you’ve been living the lifestyle for several years or if you’re just starting out. But the good thing is that there are tools that can help you maintain your productivity as you work and do business remotely. Click here for a list of products that help you stay on track, as shared by digital nomads.
- Live a minimal lifestyle. Most digital nomads live a minimalist lifestyle, which only makes sense. This way, you get to save money for the things that matter – such as your accommodation, necessary gadgets, flight expenses, and food. Also, really can’t fit all the newly-purchased items that don’t serve any purpose to you in your suitcase.
- Find balance through mindfulness. Traveling is a big part of the digital nomad lifestyle. However, everyone has different preferences and ways on how to stay productive and well-balanced. Do you find yourself more enthusiastic to work early in the morning or do you function better at night? Do you have a morning or an evening routine? Incorporating mindfulness is important in ensuring you maintain the balance between life and work, so you won’t end up being slaves to your gadgets. Pay attention to yourself – what makes you feel good and bad, and build healthy habits for your mind and body. There are different ways to practice mindfulness, and here are some of them.
Being a digital nomad and building your own aligned business may give you freedom but it still requires self-discipline, motivation, dedication, and commitment to make the business work. More importantly, you need to love and enjoy what you’re doing and have the patience to be consistent. The journey is going to be all worth it.
Lucile Hernandez Rodriguez is a Registered Yoga Teacher, Blogger, and Mindful Business Advisor. She shares actionable advice on Mindfulness, Yoga, and Travel on her blog, lucilehr.com.
Take the Internet with you! Rent a portable wifi when you travel to the USA!
Stay connected in the USA with unlimited internet and your choice of portable pocket Wi-Fi and SIM cards. Click here to check our affordable digital nomad data plans in the United States.